Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A confederate flag



Every day I drive the same monotonous ride.
SUV’s and road. Not much to see.

Then, this morning, like hearing a needle scratch a record, I saw a huge confederate flag flying on the side of the road.

When I mean huge, I mean f#$^ing huge!


As big as a bus!

It felt uncomfortable as if this was being imposed on me. Then again, so do the bill board ads advertising needle less and painless vasectomies. (I’m still wondering what Star Trek technology they used for this.)

The non profit group responsible for this flag says that it is part of a memorial to educate people about the civil war.


Maybe. Even though the place where the flag is being flown is not a civil war site.


I don’t see this flag as a sign of oppression either.


The confederate flag looked cool on the General Lee driven by the dukes of hazard. I still want that car! Some ignorant people used the confederate flag as a symbol of intolerance when in reality it represents a unifying symbol of a people (southerners) who disagreed with their government so strongly that they took arms and fought. That is to be respected. Lets not get into the slavery thing either…the south was for it everyone knows that, but the north although more tolerant was not too happy with having black people come over either. Slavery was not the primary reason for the civil war. Check your history.

Then again, there are thousands of Toyota Corollas running around Tampa with Puerto Rican flags “educating” people about the Puerto Rican status. As you can see the waiving of a flag doesn’t really bother me. Puerto Ricans have placed the Puerto Rican flag on every single object imaginable to man. The highlight for me was last year when during the Christmas season I went to the flea market and found nativity themed napkins with, you guessed it, a big Puerto Rican flag in the background. I didn’t know that Maria, Jose, Jesus, the wise men and even the animals were Puerto Rican. The only three items that I haven’t seen the Puerto Rican flag on are: condoms, tampons and toilet paper. I’m sure there is a loco thinking about placing the PR flag on one of these items right now.

However, there is a strong similarity between the confederate flag I mentioned and those Puerto Rican flags.

They are made in China.

No comments: